Author Topic: Why Joe doesn't get airplay  (Read 20105 times)

Caroline

• Feel the Fire
Why Joe doesn't get airplay
« on: November 11, 2011, 07:48:26 PM »
I dont know if this topic is in the right place but guess someone will move it to where it should be.
I have watched and read everything I can possibly read of Joe over the last week, I dont know a lot about the music scene but am suprised and dissapointed over the lack of support that Joe gets.
Im not surprised over the Xfactor tag as it happens here as well they win Xfactor do well the first year and dont get mentioned again, Joe obviosly has talent and a voice that is like nothing else I have heard but what I dont get is the fact that he doesnt get the airplay surely if you produce an album and remain in the top 40 for x amount of weeks in a population of so many millions then doesnt that deserve the airplay to be heard? I feel the UK has a bit of the tall poppy syndrome and dont be to good as they will find a reason to bring you down, I have read many nasty comments and people all giving advice on where Joes career should go and what he should do next, I also think he should produce his own song as that would cement the artist in him. I also do not understand why he has not had his album released world wide, how does that work? he has wider audience appeal than probably any other artist out there.
This is not supposed to be a negative thread but coming from the other side of the world its like what is this boy supposed to do to get recognition that he deserves from his own country and for the rest of the world to appreciate and take pleasure out of with out having to google the entire world to find him.
thanks so much Joe Nuts for all the info you guys do a great job
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 11:01:25 PM by judetheobscure »

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
Re: Why Joe doesn't get airplay
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 11:05:41 PM »
My thoughts on the matter are as follows.

With Wide Awake nobody is sure why it didn't get airplay. There were various rumours circulating, mostly to do with Simon Cowell, Ashley Tabor and The Wanted, but the radio stations that said anything said words to the effect that they didn't think their audience would like Ambitions.

With Classic it's slightly different. For a start there was no single released from it. And secondly it doesn't really fit with most of the main radio stations. It's not quite classical enough on the whole for Classic FM, but it's not poppy enough for Radio 1, Heart, Capital. It could conceivably have got some tracks played on Magic or Radio 2.

PS. Just remind me - you are from New Zealand?

Caroline

• Feel the Fire
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 01:35:20 AM »
Yes NZ,  Thanks for that, wwe have independant radio stations in NZ that will play up and coming artists we also have a National radio station that will play classical and not so classical music.
The guy is such a talent and I am so hoping that his xmas album gets to number one and shows all the doubters that this guy has the public support right behind him.
It would be interesting to know how many albums have been sold to other countries.

jadesharp1992

• Superman
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 09:23:23 AM »
really hope lc will get some airplay!

Joe is such an inspiration to me, and I am so proud to be a fan of his! Supporting him always! :)

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 09:25:18 AM »
Radio 2 is one of our national stations and it has featured Joe a small amount with Classic.
Many of the so called independent stations are owned by Global. I found an old thread where we discusses this: http://www.joe-music.net/forum/index.php?topic=560.0 Just read down a bit for some links.

Caroline

• Feel the Fire
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 09:37:58 AM »
Thanks, explains a lot, lets hope the public make up the majority and put pressure on radio stations.

adayseye

• Superman
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 09:52:02 AM »
Hi Caroline.

This has been a real bug bear for me. At first I thought it was the Syco laziness and shenanigans with Tabor - which still could be true of course but I really thought Universal would be able to wrangle at least decent airplay but that hasn't happened - he should at least be getting something half decent from Radio 2, classic fm (who play other 'crossover artists) or Magic.

I think that the label themselves must be getting frustrated now and will be starting to look at other ways of getting Joe's music out there. The vid is out good and early - hopefully the channels will pic up on it - but it looks like it's gonna have to be lots of performances, T.V advertising - which they have also started already and T.V whenever possible.

Caroline

• Feel the Fire
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 09:57:24 AM »
You know it still doesnt really figure?  if you ring up and request his song do they play it then? does it have something to do with the fact that Joe only sings covers and then there is copyright laws that will apply for that song and royalties.
I may be talking through a hole in my hat as dont really know, but from this side of the world it seems incredible when he is so popular that he does not get radio play.

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 10:04:15 AM »
It's not to do with copyright.

As Anne (adayseye) says, it's difficult to know why Classic doesn't get more airplay. The label released a promo single, Dance With My Father, for the radio stations - which would have been very suitable for Magic I would have thought (I think Magic is now the biggest independent London station) but I've not heard that it was ever played on there.
Some of the tracks are suitable for Classic - maybe they feel Joe has not got quite enough of the "classical" voice for them to played in preference to other established artists like Bocelli, Jenkins, Westenra. Although it would be nice if they gave their listeners the opportunity to decide for themselves.
And I have requested his songs quite a lot from Magic, to no avail.

I wouldn't describe him as "so popular" yet. It does seem that the vast majority who see him live are won over (as you would expect) but he still carries the "tag" of X-Factor "flop" etc. etc.

litcar

• Superman
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 10:08:32 AM »
I don't think singing covers has anything  to do with it. SWMU wasn't a cover and it never got played and a lot of artists do covers and they still get a lot of airplay, Ellie Goulding and Florence and the Machine both did covers and they had loads of airplay. I was watching Graham Norton last night and he had Cliff Richard on and he has the same problem of airplay and he said it doesn't seem fair because people want to hear his music but radios won't play it. He had a number one song one Christmas which showed that it was very popular and yet they still didn't play it. Soooooo frustrating.

adayseye

• Superman
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 10:12:13 AM »
You know it still doesnt really figure?  if you ring up and request his song do they play it then? does it have something to do with the fact that Joe only sings covers and then there is copyright laws that will apply for that song and royalties.
I may be talking through a hole in my hat as dont really know, but from this side of the world it seems incredible when he is so popular that he does not get radio play.

Only it doesn't stop them playing other artists who do covers - Florence and the Machine's 'You've got the love' was on ALL the time :wacko:

It's a real mystery to be honest. I think the whole selected playlist thing is such a con - and open to such manipulation and corruption. Like what will labels do to get their artist on the coveted list - the mind boggles. :cool2: And how much say do individual DJ''s have on the content of their shows???

It's a little early still to see what happens to LC and airplay but I think Universal are on to it and have prepared to do it another way. This encourages me as I was worried with what happened with the release of Classic as things were a little 'after the event' but I think that they have realised they have to change tack and have upped their game and have the ad out much earlier and it will be interesting to see what else they do. It shows they are serious.

But I agree with you - it's mind boggling :wacko:

Just seen your post Licar - yep FATM - was played to death!!

Caroline

• Feel the Fire
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 10:20:07 AM »
Yes well radio stations are all about making money and maybe the wholesome boy next door image doesnt do it for them, says a lot for there audience.

Hayley Westerna is a home grown girl, I really dont like how she sings but she gets plenty of airplay in NZ.
It all seems corrupt and unfair but guess life isnt fair, so my guess is Joe will do his thing his way and succeed with or without the radio moguls

litcar

• Superman
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 10:27:14 AM »
Well Ann both of us mentioned FATM which just shows we were on the same track because at the time that's all they played it seemed. I don't think DJs really have a real say in what they play as most of them seem to play the same rubbish day in day out.

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 10:28:27 AM »
And it's the same even on the "oldie" stations like Magic. Such a wealth of music to choose from and yet they play the same tracks day in and day out.

jadesharp1992

• Superman
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 10:32:33 AM »
this is why i liked going on work experience on radio jackie an eagle radio, they'll play a bit of jls and then bonnie tyler. i went to jackie, in december 2009 however just after joe won and I asked if they could play the climb and unfortunately they said they didn't play that sort of music! I want to be a radio dj, but i'd be so annoyed if i couldn't play joe, that's why i play him so much on my dodge radio shows! however my nn joe fans who listen, always criticise me for playing too much joe! Looking at it realistically, i do, but i've got to look at my listeners and what they want, and pretty much all my listeners are you guys!

Joe is such an inspiration to me, and I am so proud to be a fan of his! Supporting him always! :)