Author Topic: POLL: Wide Awake Album Survivor  (Read 4947 times)

Tacom

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
Re: POLL: FINAL ROUND | Wide Awake Album Survivor
« Reply #105 on: August 26, 2015, 07:52:42 PM »
I don't have the time the coming weeks either, but volunteer to do so when things settle down a bit.

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #106 on: August 26, 2015, 07:57:35 PM »
Four hours to get your votes in folks  :spasm:

blackenroses

• Superman
Re: POLL: FINAL RESULTS | Wide Awake Album Survivor
« Reply #107 on: August 27, 2015, 06:38:41 AM »
2nd: Wide Awake (16/27 – 59.3%)

A track I really rather like. It’s a huge ballad where Joe is desperate to fall asleep because “you’re on the other side”, yet he’s “wide awake”. The lyrics themselves are so-so, but there are some lovely little lines like “I keep dreaming of falling back to sleep”, but seems to make no cohesive sense what-so-ever, but in the song it comes together with everything else make this another great track. Quietly reminiscent of Rihanna's 'Firebomb'.

And the winner is.................

1st: Superman (11/27 – 40.7%)

So JoeNuts has spoken and Superman is your favourite track from Wide Awake. :D

A cover of a Five For Fighting song from 2000, a US hit that also charted highly in Ireland, Australia and New Zealand.

Joe’s voice cuts through with absolute clarity and the lyrics are brilliantly crafted “Even heroes have the right to dream”.
The lyrics "I can't stand to fly, I'm not that naive" meaning that he's not so shallow as to actually care about the flying itself, and let’s face it, when does Superman ever fly? When he needs to save someone, better if he never had to? And also, he could fly without the cape, so it is a "silly red sheet" purely serving an aesthetic purpose. Thus he's complaining, that people always NEED him to be strong....

It’s got one of the best productions on the album, purely because it doesn’t want to trip over itself trying to be hyper and overcrowded, the strings add poignancy and Joe comes across as emotive and with conviction.

p/s I ALWAYS think of Smallville when I hear this song. They always had a great use of music for the show. "Superman", “Wherever You Will Go", "You and Me" etc. :inlove:

So that's it guys, :thankyou: for all your votes throughout each of the rounds and now we come to an end. :glum:

Here are the full results:

01.   Superman (11/27 – 40.7%)
02.   Wide Awake (16/27 – 59.3%)
03.   Someone Wake Me Up (8/16 - 50%)
04.   Real Late Starter (10/16 - 62.5%)
05.   Fahrenheit (6/16 - 37.5%)
06.   Until The Stars Run Out (5/17 - 29.4%)
07.   Ambitions (7/17 - 41.2%)
08.   Feel The Fire (6/19 - 31.6%)
09.   The Climb (4/15 - 26.7%)
10.   Smile (4/16 - 25%)
11.   Love Is War (12/24 votes - 50%)

:pompoms: :pompoms: :pompoms:

blackenroses

• Superman
« Reply #108 on: August 27, 2015, 06:41:37 AM »
Joe's version of Superman is nice but I prefer the original one, probably because I'm so used to it..... ;)

Such great nostalgia watching this video. I'm so glad Smallville was around during my youth and teenage years. This show made me love and respect the character of Superman. :)

blackenroses

• Superman
« Reply #109 on: August 27, 2015, 06:43:57 AM »
I don't have the time the coming weeks either, but volunteer to do so when things settle down a bit.

Cool, I guess I'll start the thread now... :D

excitedbyjoe

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
« Reply #110 on: August 27, 2015, 07:16:06 AM »
I've always thought Wide Awake as about  a feeling of bereavement .... You are only "with them" when asleep dreaming. It's the phrase "the morning pulled you under" that makes me think that. Then the lyrics make perfect sense to me.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 07:17:38 AM by excitedbyjoe »

Tacom

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
« Reply #111 on: August 27, 2015, 08:32:45 AM »
Wide Awake would always be my favorite but I love Superman as well.
It is one of the songs on the album that is least effected by the production but I much prefer it to the original. And live its just astonishing beautiful and breathtaking emotional.

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #112 on: August 27, 2015, 05:38:10 PM »
And Superman just showcases Joe to perfection. It doesn't need anything except the warmth, purity and naivety that only Joe can pull off.

Peggysue/Maggs

• Superman
« Reply #113 on: August 27, 2015, 07:00:50 PM »
Joe has several times on tour when singing Superman has bought me to tears.....don't know why....