Author Topic: General Sports Thread  (Read 15787 times)

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
Re: General Sports Thread
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2014, 05:28:30 PM »
Me too - and the US Open Tennis starts tomorrow too :D

Watched the F1 race from Belgium today - first race I've watched in a long time - and it has straight away reminded me why I can't be bothered with it any more.

blackenroses

• Superman
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 03:03:57 AM »
I used to be obsessed with :formula1: and watch literally every quali and race, but now I just find it so boring. :haha:

blackenroses

• Superman
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2014, 12:21:30 PM »
Throwback to last year's BWF World Championships in men's single final! The classic "unstoppable force vs immovable object"  :D

Shame Lin Dan is not taking part this year!  :glum:

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2014, 02:36:54 PM »
It does seem odd that he's not defending his title. I can't see any reports of injury. Just that he took 2013 off (apart from the World Championships) to spend time with his family and has not bothered to return yet.

blackenroses

• Superman
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2014, 03:48:25 PM »
Lin Dan did not qualify for the World Championships after missing a major part of the action in the BWF organised competitions and thus failed to qualify.

http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v7/sp/newssports.php?id=1062950

http://www.badzine.net/news/no-wild-card-for-lin-dan-nor-anyone/30126/

A World Championship isn't really a World Championship if the best players in the world aren't competing. :sigh:
I think they should change the rule. Defending champion automatically gets qualification for the following year. :idea:

Tacom

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2014, 06:23:53 PM »
Happy that also this kind of news is picked up by the media. How powerful.
Danish Peder Mondrop completed his Ironman (3,8km swimming, 180km cycling and a complete marathon). Impressive enough, but Peder suffers of a  BrainParalysis from the day he was born. His twinbrother Steen completed the Ironman with him.  :tissue:

http://www.telegraaf.nl/buitenland/23003206/__Verlamde_man_voltooit_Ironman__.html

and their website
http://www.teamtvilling.dk/

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 10:01:46 PM »
I think they should change the rule. Defending champion automatically gets qualification for the following year. :idea:

Ooh no - if he wants to play he should commit to the sport a bit more. He wouldn't need to play much to get his ranking up.

blackenroses

• Superman
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2014, 07:11:26 AM »

Ooh no - if he wants to play he should commit to the sport a bit more. He wouldn't need to play much to get his ranking up.

Yes, I agree  :thumbsup:

blackenroses

• Superman
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2014, 07:13:31 AM »
2013 WORLD CHAMPIONS

MS - Lin Dan (CHN)
WS - Ratchanok Intanon (THA)
MD - Mohammad Ahsan/Hendra Setiawan (INA)
WD - Wang Xiaoli/Yu Yang (CHN)
XD - Tontowi Ahmad/Liliyana Natsir (INA)

Day 1 (25/8/14) - Preliminary Round

http://www.bwfbadminton.org/news_item.aspx?id=87241
http://www.bwfbadminton.org/news_item.aspx?id=87261

The upset on the first day -13th seed Kento Momota stunned by Wei Nan. I thought he could make a surprise. P Kashyap from India also crashed out in the first round losing to Germany's Dieter Domke. From the highs of CWG to the lows of the WC.

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2014, 10:23:13 AM »
Just watched that mens singles match - very good and much higher standard than the Commonwealth Games 1st round  :haha:
Unfortunately the coverage here is not as good as I'd hoped - just a highlights programme from 8-11 in the morning when I was hoping to see live play :( And another programme in the evening which clashes with the US Open coverage. Nothing at all in the afternoon :jump:

blackenroses

• Superman
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2014, 11:50:46 AM »

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2014, 12:06:06 PM »
I'm surprised there's nothing in Malaysia - I thought badminton was really big over there.
I follow some of it on youtube but like to watch while I do my ironing  :iron: :haha:
I have got an HDMI cable so should really sort out linking up my PC to the TV - managed to do it for the laptops so I'm sure the PC should work if I can find the right port .......

blackenroses

• Superman
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2014, 01:07:21 PM »
Just checked the schedule, it's on a channel I don't have  :jump:

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2014, 12:23:56 AM »
Great result for our Rajiv Ouseph. I love the way he plays, very calm and collected and thoughtful. Must catch this on the highlights in the morning :)

blackenroses

• Superman
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2014, 03:41:00 AM »
Disappointing result for Wei Feng  :glum: but well done to Ouseph. What a comeback!  :thumbsup: