Author Topic: Losing weight!  (Read 7929 times)

litcar

• Superman
Re: Losing weight!
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2013, 09:26:41 AM »
I was watching Jamie Oliver last week and instead of using rice for his curry he put a raw cauliflower in a food processor and whizzed it up. Then he put it in a container covered it  and microwaved it for 7 mins without adding water to it. He then used it as normal rice. I don't know what it tastes like as I haven't tried it yet but I thought it might be a good alternative to rice for those who are trying to cut down on carbs.
Cauliflower isn't considered a root veg is it? It grows above the ground.

sandypandy74

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2013, 09:41:17 AM »
Carbohydrates are everywhere. Even in vegetables. Some have more than others.
Cauliflower wouldn't be a root veg.
You don't need to eat starchy food every day I think. I spent 2 weeks or more with only green veg and proteins and I was fine. I have had red kidney beans yesterday for dinner, mixed with vegetables and cooked with tinned tomatoes, and I am still ok now. I just think about eating all the time, so I convince myself I am hungry. But, really, I am not.  :-)
I agree that carbohydrates are really handy for snacks when you are out and about. At least, bread is. But you can replace it with a leaf of iceberg or romaine lettuce and make a sandwich/wrap with it  :D I just wish they had those in the shop instead of bread sometimes. It's lighter.
Nothing fills me up quickly!! I would have a banana I think, now. Although I am not supposed to eat those without having done a workout, because it seems my body might processes fruits as it would process sugary treats. (Or something like that). But once in a while, it won't do harm. I actually bought some for my trips this weekend.  ;)

Gill P

• Superman
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2013, 10:05:29 AM »
I have a feeling that some of you have missed the point.  What I am doing is LOW CARB not NO CARB!

Of course I get my carbs in vegetables and fruit.   It is the grains which I avoid, if possible, and, of course, potatoes and the like.

sandypandy74

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2013, 10:22:36 AM »
Sorry.
I thought we were just discussing all things. Not just your diet.
I understand what you are doing Gill, but what I was talking about were just general stuff. And I think that is what others have been doing too.
If not, my mistake.

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2013, 11:13:06 AM »
Yup - and my point is all the "allowable" carbs taste of cardboard, so I would really struggle to get my carbs from somewhere.

I agree, you don't need everything every day or even every week. But if you go months on limited carbs, does this not affect energy levels. Is there any research to show the benefits of low-carb diets over a long period, as opposed to say low-fat diets (and I agree about not substituting in high-sugar/low-fat items instead). Or the other ones which say we eat far too much protein and should be cutting down on that. If we follow all the diets at once there'll be nothing left to eat at all  :haha:

How much carbohydrate do you eat in an average day Gill?

For example in your menu

had bacon, egg and tomato for breakfast, a slice of smoked salmon, celery and cream cheese for lunch and for dinner I had pan-fried chicken with pesto, green beans and cabbage.   

I don't see any traditional carbs at all and any that are in the veg must be minimal. Presumably you are getting calories from fat - at 9 calories per gram. as opposed to carbohydrate at 4 calories per gram.

The downside though is that the processed types of carbohyrates are higher on the glycaemic rating - ie. type 2 diabetes and all that. But I would have thought that as long as you don't indulge on too much sugary stuff then it's not going to do you too much harm eating potatoes and white bread. After all, a generation or two ago, potatoes and bread were all they ate as carbs but it's this generation that seems to have the problem.

Just rambling really, and deciding whether I should be doing anything about it :D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 11:20:54 AM by judetheobscure »

Gill P

• Superman
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2013, 12:57:54 PM »
Sorry.
I thought we were just discussing all things. Not just your diet.
I understand what you are doing Gill, but what I was talking about were just general stuff. And I think that is what others have been doing too.
If not, my mistake.

I know what you mean but some seemed to be thinking (or so I understood it) that I had cut out carbs altogether!  I wanted to make myself clearer.   

I cannot work out the carb count accurately as I don't know how much of any food I had.

By the way this low carb start is just for about a month.  I will then put some root vegetables and or thin slice of bread into the menu.  However no cereals in the morning as the protein suits me very well to start the day.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 01:06:58 PM by Gill P »

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2013, 12:58:14 PM »
More points to ponder. I remembered a while back that you could reduce the glycaemic load by combining the carbs with other things -so I went a-googling :D

Food combinations: When carbohydrate foods are eaten as part of a meal, the GI of the meal changes based on the average of all the GI values factored together. Thus, a useful message for patients is to complement a high-GI food (such as rice) with low-GI foods (such red beans or legumes).

Protein/fat: Adding protein or fat, which have minimal effects on glycemic excursions, to a high-GI food will decrease the GI of that food. For example, adding cheese to a slice of bread would decrease the GI.

And

Complement high-GI foods with low-GI foods.

High- and moderate-GI choices may be improved by pairing them with low-GI foods or healthy sources of lean protein or unsaturated fats. For example, the GI of white bread will be lowered if it is eaten with a bowl of chili or spread with peanut butter. Think about choosing low-GI foods at every meal.

From http://clinical.diabetesjournals.org/content/29/4/155.full

So here's to lunch - lovely white bread, fresh from the bakery, with peanut butter  :cheers2:

sandypandy74

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2013, 01:20:25 PM »
That is too scientific now. How do I know what is high and what is low gi?

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2013, 02:06:51 PM »
http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods.htm

or

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/31/12/2281/T1.expansion.html

Low GI - 55 or less
Medium GI - 56-69
High GI - 70 and above.

Or this one:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/topics/glycemic-index

An interesting article about all sorts. You may particularly like the "What ABout Satiety" and "Fullness Factor" sections :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 02:18:59 PM by judetheobscure »

Gill P

• Superman
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2013, 03:15:51 PM »
This is an interesting article which was tweeted by the Diet Doctor.

Robin Nixon

Ping - Annie L

• RIP
  • Superman
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2013, 04:18:35 PM »
Here's comes trouble..... saw a programme a while back which tested different carb sources.

Potatoes came out the clear winner.... you have to boil them and eat the skins too tho!

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2013, 04:45:15 PM »
Winner in what respect Ping?

Ping - Annie L

• RIP
  • Superman
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2013, 04:55:21 PM »

Fibre vitamin & minerals as far as I remember.....

and the starch  was no worse than any other source of starch...

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2013, 07:17:47 PM »
So if you're going to eat carbs then potatoes are your best bet.
I think Gill's programme is saying you should get your starch from nuts and legumes ....

Ping - Annie L

• RIP
  • Superman
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2013, 07:57:16 PM »
Its a minefield.......................

been 'dieting' since I was 22..... result? 4 stone heavier.  :roll2: