Author Topic: Losing weight!  (Read 7911 times)

Caroline

• Feel the Fire
Re: Losing weight!
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 10:04:27 PM »
I also have struggled with my weight for years, with me it is more of an emotional thing, and even though I know sugar is the killer sometimes I just can not help myself.
regular exercise and good diet are the key and even though I know that sometimes it is very hard to keep up, disipline is also one of the major factors, so I am writing this and thinking why dont I take my own advise. It is great hearing everyones stories I am now going to try and will keep reading and posting for motivation. Well done to everyone that has lost weight   :wavehat:

Gill P

• Superman
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 10:18:43 PM »
Carbohydrates turn to glucose in the body so it isn't just sugar.

I do walk uphill when I go to the shop or the doctor.  But generally take the car to go into town.   I am definitely NOT going to do any arranged exercise.   That's my biggest bugbear!  I used to like dancing but there is nothing suitable here.   I am not going to the gym - cannot afford it!

This way of eating that I am doing is as old as the hills - cro-magnon man used to eat like this!  Nice bit of mammoth and a few berries and green vegetables.  Grains were not introduced until much later but the human body really hasn't got used to them and are unlikely to do so.   Do you know that since low fat became the norm, the incidence of obesity has gone through the roof?

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2013, 10:30:58 PM »
Ah but we have evolved since then.
I read somewhere, of course I can't remember where now, that scientists have shown that we have different genes which deal with grains etc.

This is fairly similar to what I read: http://discovermagazine.com/2013/april/17-paleomythic-how-people-really-lived-during-the-stone-age#.UjIw78Zwp8E and this: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-paleo-diet-half-baked-how-hunter-gatherer-really-eat

Although if you have dairy in your diet it's not quite the same, the same arguments apply.

Caroline

• Feel the Fire
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 10:50:15 PM »
Yes I have heard that about low fat, I always try to choose the low fat option especially after I have eaten a block of chocolate, haha, not any more though, I searched what you are doing and it definitely makes sense.
Good for you Gill just keep doing what you are doing especially if it works for you.
There is another diet called the Palo diet, I am not a big fan of fad diets as I do think they change your metabolism and you end up putting on more weight than when you started as soon as you stop.

JazDarcy

• Administrator
  • Superman
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013, 12:44:00 AM »
Carbohydrates turn to glucose in the body so it isn't just sugar.

I do walk uphill when I go to the shop or the doctor.  But generally take the car to go into town.   I am definitely NOT going to do any arranged exercise.   That's my biggest bugbear!  I used to like dancing but there is nothing suitable here.   I am not going to the gym - cannot afford it!

This way of eating that I am doing is as old as the hills - cro-magnon man used to eat like this!  Nice bit of mammoth and a few berries and green vegetables.  Grains were not introduced until much later but the human body really hasn't got used to them and are unlikely to do so.   Do you know that since low fat became the norm, the incidence of obesity has gone through the roof?

Right, now forgive me if this is a bit sloppy, I haven't done metabolism in a few months, but here's a wee science lesson-

Carbohydrates are broken down into glucose yes, but excess glucose in the blood is then converted to glycogen (this is what insulin is for! when blood sugar rises, insulin is secreted from the pancreas and that stimulates hepatocytes (liver cells) to secrete enzymes like glycogen synthase) and stored in the liver where it can be converted back to glucose by a hormone called glucagon! Some glycogen is also stored in muscles.

However, storage of excess fats (not ALL fat, just what our body doesn't need for energy) is stored in fat cells! The fat cells get bigger, and obviously the more fat needed to be stored, the more fat cells there are. Now, these cells can get smaller, but you can't reduce the amount of them! Fat cells can store other forms of energy such as those from carbs, but fat is the easiest to store.

You don't need to eat low fat, actually fats are essential for all sorts of things, including vitamin synthesis, however you should try to eat HEALTHY fats. Mono and poly-unsaturated fats, not saturated fat. Saturated fat raises levels of LDL (bad cholesterol) and mono/poly-unsaturated ones raise HDL (good cholesterol). Poly-unsaturated fats are usually found in natural foods (plant-based) and have those lovely omega-3's the adverts are always telling us are so good  :haha:

Phew! I hope that's all right!

Gill P

• Superman
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2013, 06:27:56 AM »
Thanks JJ.  That explains the reason why it is better not to have too many carbs.   Low fat yoghurt and such have sugar put in to replace the fat taken out which defeats the object of it being low fat!

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 07:29:47 AM »
Where did that explain why not to have too many carbs?
JJ said excess sugar (from the carbs) is stored in the liver, not in fat cells.

Tell me if I'm understanding this bit though JJ. When you consume excess fat it gets stored in fat cells. More fat cells are produced if there is more fat to be stored. But if fat is used up then the fat cells will diminish in size but they won't actually go away?

sandypandy74

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2013, 07:47:59 AM »
Yep. That is the unfair situation.
So once you have had a lot of fat cells created, you are screwed!!
 :-)
Does that mean though, that the more fat cells you have, the easier it is for your body to store fat than those who have less fat cells?

JazDarcy

• Administrator
  • Superman
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2013, 10:09:18 AM »
Where did that explain why not to have too many carbs?
JJ said excess sugar (from the carbs) is stored in the liver, not in fat cells.

Tell me if I'm understanding this bit though JJ. When you consume excess fat it gets stored in fat cells. More fat cells are produced if there is more fat to be stored. But if fat is used up then the fat cells will diminish in size but they won't actually go away?

That's exactly right. Fat cells can increase/decrease in size a lot (I think they can increase fourfold before they divide, therefore creating more cells), but once they are there, you can't get rid of them, only make them smaller. People with a bigger number of fat cells generally find it harder to lose weight and keep it off

And I think so sandy, not completely sure though.

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2013, 11:41:45 PM »
Doing some more reading on this whole issue of carbs ;)

From http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/ (part of Harvard University)

What about longer term studies? POUNDS LOST (Preventing Overweight Using Novel Dietary Strategies), a two-year head-to-head trial comparing different weight loss strategies found that low-carb, low-fat, and Mediterranean-style diets worked equally well in the long run, and that there was no speed advantage for one diet over another. (20) What this and other diet comparisons tell us is that sticking with a diet is more important than the diet itself.

No one knows the long-term effects of eating little or no carbohydrates. Equally worrisome is the inclusion of unhealthy fats in some of these diets.

But there is no arguing with the benefits of whole grains / complex carbohydrates. Only problem is I don't like many of them  :roll:

Start the day with whole grains. If you’re partial to hot cereals, try steel-cut oats. If you’re a cold cereal person, look for one that lists whole wheat, whole oats, or other whole grain first on the ingredient list.
Use whole grain breads for lunch or snacks. Check the label to make sure that whole wheat or another whole grain is the first ingredient listed.
Bag the potatoes. Instead, try brown rice or even “newer” grains like bulgur, wheat berries, millet, or hulled barley with your dinner.
Pick up some whole wheat pasta. If the whole grain products are too chewy for you, look for those that are made with half whole-wheat flour and half white flour.
Bring on the beans. Beans are an excellent source of slowly digested carbohydrates as well as a great source of protein.

No way I'm having oats to start the day as that just makes me starving all morning. Ditto to a lesser degree, Weetabix etc. Might consider them for supper  :haha:
Although I don't dislike brown bread I don't like it with most sandwiches as it gets in the way of the filling. Plus too much of it disagrees with me.
I don't like brown rice or pasta, they're like cardboard.
I do like bulghar wheat  :hurrah:
Don't even know where I would get wheat berries, millet (I thought that was for budgies) and hulled barley.
I like runner beans and French beans but I suspect that's not what they're after. In terms of the beans they mean, I think the only ones I can eat are soya beans and flageolet beans.

I love white bread and would much rather have a meal with potatoes than rice or pasta, let alone the brown variety.
So this all seems rather depressing to me  :glum:

Gill P

• Superman
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2013, 06:42:44 AM »
The beans they mean are those you mention like butter beans, etc and are called legumes.  They are very starchy!

If you are finding this all too depressing perhaps you are one of the people who this way of eating wouldn't suit.   

Personally I am happy with it and intend to continue.   

sandypandy74

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2013, 08:06:57 AM »
From http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/ (part of Harvard University)
(20) What this and other diet comparisons tell us is that sticking with a diet is more important than the diet itself.

That is the main key. It's not just going from one diet to another that will work, but just keep eating a balanced diet.
Strict diets work for a while but nobody can be strict all their lives. What I have always found difficult was to stabilise my weight/size.
But I do have a problem with the connection between my brain and the stomach stretching nerves... Can't remember what they are called. When your stomach fills up, it reaches a point where connectors send signals to your brain that the stomach is stretching and at some point tells you it is full. They say you need to eat slowly as you need to give time to the message to reach your brain.
The problem is that my message system is slower than the Royal Mail!!! If I eat really slowly I get the message but then I am hungry not long after because I didn't eat enough. If I eat at normal speed, I don't get the message until it's too late...
 :-)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 08:51:37 AM by judetheobscure »

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2013, 08:53:43 AM »
Have you tried First Class?  :sarky:

Seriously, I agree. I'm trying to "diet" by reducing portion size, so my stomach gets used to expecting less and feels fuller sooner.
Plus skipping breakfast, of course   :haha:

sandypandy74

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2013, 09:08:25 AM »
First class? Hmmmm maybe that is where I am going wrong!!!  :-)
I would need to be super busy to skip breakfast and not feel hunger.  :sarky:
I woke up at 5 this morning. Had a latte (don't tell joe sexton)  :sarky: now I am starting to feel hungry. I have prepared a nice salad for breakfast / lunch with ham (don't tell joe sexton)  :sarky: avocado and boiled egg.  :yummy:

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2013, 09:15:21 AM »
Coooeeeeey - Joe Sexton --------------- are you there  :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:  :lol:

I think if I was cutting out carbs they would be in danger of disappearing altogether - and I'm sure that's not good.

Plus they're just so handy for out-and-about snacks. What do you replace them with that fills you up quickly?