Author Topic: Losing weight!  (Read 6362 times)

Gill P

• Superman
Losing weight!
« on: September 12, 2013, 09:59:54 AM »
I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread about weight loss and the various methods to do it.

For the last 18 months I have been going to WeightWatchers and have lost a total of 12 lbs over that time, which I think is not very good.  I was paying 21 a month for this privilege ao I decided to stop going.

About ten years ago I went on the Low Carb High Fat way of eating.  I cut out all the carbohydrates such as bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and other root vegetables and managed to lose about a stone.   Having put that back on (and more) I have gone back on it and, in three weeks, I have lost 6lbs!  :)

I haven't had bread, potatoes, pasta or rice since I started and I feel fine.  For instance yesterday I had bacon, egg and tomato for breakfast, a slice of smoked salmon, celery and cream cheese for lunch and for dinner I had pan-fried chicken with pesto, green beans and cabbage.   

I don't seem to pick as I did before and don't seem to feel any loss of sweet things.  I do have some raspberries or strawberries with double cream instead of the low fat yoghurt I was having.

One website I went on was the Diet Doctor.  He is a Swedish doctor and his site is great with lots of info and videos.

[urlhttp://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf]Low Carb High Fat[/url]
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 10:02:52 AM by Gill P »

Eleanor

• Feel the Fire
Re: Losing weight!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 01:14:03 PM »
Whenever I feel my clothes getting a little too snug I try to do more exercise- various things- ATM it's skating, tennis and climbing mostly. Also I cut back on those high fat empty calories in chocolate, cakes, biscuits and sweets. I do t cut them out altogether as that makes me focus on them more. A little of what you fancy and all that. For example I have not had chocolate for a month now- don't miss it actually and with keeping active my clothes are nice and loose again.

My personal feeling is that it is, nutritionally, not the best idea to cut out an entire food group as essential nutrients may be missed. Also I, strongly,do not believe  in diets. I believe in healthy eating all the time following the plan-approx 33% fruit and veg, 33%    Complex carbohydrates- rice, pasta etc , about 15% proteins, 12% dairy and the rest fats and refined sugars.

It is recommended to consume at least 400 g of fruit and veg a day. I weigh my food to ensure we keep to healthy portion sizes, it must work, none of us in our house are overweight.

Add to that 60 mins of moderate exercise 5 times a week, a person should be healthy.

Better to be stable, all be it slightly, overweight, and exercising regularly, than having weight going up and down like a yo yo which is not good for health.

Anyway, those are just my observations. Feel free to completely disagree and perhaps we can have a healthy debate.

Gill P

• Superman
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 02:23:35 PM »
I haven't cut carbs out of my life.   I get sufficient from the vegetables and fruit I eat.  All I have cut out is bread and other grain based food, potatoes and any vegetables grown underground.   

It is not like the Atkins diet, it is much easier and not so stringent.

When I have lost a bit more weight I will add a little carbohydrates.

I couldn't possibly do all that exercise, my asthma wouldn't allow it.   Some of the research is really interesting.  I have just read a book called Eat Fat, Get Thin.   Interesting!

Also, have a look at this site - it is run by a Swedish doctor who is obviously very knowledgeable about LCHF!   Diet Doctor
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 02:27:54 PM by Gill P »

Eleanor

• Feel the Fire
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 02:53:26 PM »
Hi Gill, well controlled asthma shouldn't limit a person's ability to exercise. If you are being limited it suggests to me that perhaps your asthma is not controlled. Do you have nurse led asthma  clinics at your Drs. They should be able to help. The aim of asthma treatment now is for patients to have no symptoms and to lead a normal life-apart from using inhalers that is. I know this doesn't apply to everyone and your case may be different Gill, but I just thought I would pass on that info. I hope that's OK

Regarding fats, I prefer to eat full fat products as I have personally noticed that they fill me up quicker than manufactured low fat. We use a lot of olive oil and sunflower oil. I use cremefraiche, Greek yoghurt and full fat cream. I eat a lot of tomato based dishes. We mostly cook from scratch with fresh ingredients, but we do like a curry from M&S now and then, although we have started making our own recently.

I am teaching my son how to cook. He makes a mean pizza!

Gill P

• Superman
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 04:47:14 PM »
Being the grand old age of 77 I think strenuous exercise is not for me.  Walking about is all I do.  When I have lost a bit more I will be able to do more.  I hate all sports!

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 07:09:16 PM »
I love sport and am praying I can continue doing it into my 90's (and also that I live that long)  :haha:
Everything I do these days I'm very conscious of looking after the fairly permanent niggling injuries I have in order to make sure I can keep playing badminton and, yes, running.
I would far rather keep healthy through sport than by restricting what I eat.

Gill P

• Superman
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 07:34:24 PM »
My point is that you don't have to exercise to lose weight. There are lots of people who do not like doing formal sports and I am one of them!

I will keep you posted how I do.

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 07:39:21 PM »
But equally you don't have to diet to lose weight - and "diets" are so often counter-productive. You lose weight and then you put it back on. I've a few friends who do WeightWatchers, Slimming World etc. and the pattern is always the same.

If you have regularly exercised throughout your life then you shouldn't put weight on in the first place.
But the key to exercise is finding one you enjoy and then staying injury free.

Gill P

• Superman
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 07:47:49 PM »
You are right about WeightWatchers etc.  This is why I stopped!

sandypandy74

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 08:02:24 PM »
you don't have to exercise to lose weight, but if you want to be strong and healthy, I do think you need to.
exercising doesn't mean running or sweating profusely, but raising you heart rate is important. Your heart is a muscle. It also needs exercising. walk uphill, or faster. It's easily done when going to the shop  :D

Poppet68

• Superman
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 09:12:43 PM »
I have lost 3 stone since January, just cutting out norty food.  But I think for me exercise has helped me lose it.  I swim 2 twice a week and go to the gym twice as well.  I walk for about 40 minutes in my lunch hour 3 times a week.  I have gone from a size 18 to 12. I have so much more energy and feel great.  Dieting is whatever works for the individual. 

Thanks to Mihi for my wonderful sig !!

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 09:14:24 PM »
That's fantastic poppet. Well done you  :bravo:  :ten:

sandypandy74

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 09:20:35 PM »
 :bravo: that's an amazing result!!! well done  :exercise:

Sug60

• Superman
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 09:45:18 PM »
Well done Poppet that's great. I lost 2 stone last year watching what I had to eat and walked everyday but lately have not done as much exercise due to health problems and I  have put some of it back on. Definitely think the walking helped me and so does my health trainer, but of course we are all different  :)

Special thanks to Mihi for avatar and signature

Poppet68

• Superman
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 09:51:53 PM »
I hope you are getting better Sug60.  I think any exercise is better that non, even if it is just walking down to the end of the road. 

Thanks to Mihi for my wonderful sig !!