Author Topic: POLL: Pop or Classical?  (Read 6979 times)

sandyrose102

• Superman
Re: POLL: Pop or Classical?
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2013, 07:58:35 PM »
I was thinking about this today. I'll be buying whatever he records but would love to hear his middle and lower range more and I just can't stand falsetto  :-) I do think he should keep all options open and sing everything. :D

The thing is though, it isn't really about what his established fanbase likes most, it's what would generate more sales with the general public and how would they get to hear his album. What do the label and management have in mind for promotional and marketing strategy I wonder bearing in mind the radio play situation.

How does everyone think their preferred genre should be promoted to achieve best sales and is that promotion realistic or just wishful thinking? Interested to hear peoples' different views on this. :)

Trudy

• Superman
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2013, 07:59:07 PM »
bournemouth/ great yarmouth/  MOTH kent /---- there is 1 in essex/ 1 on london / before kent  that hayley will be  at  but---not me ---- maybe it is near you in essex  poppet ???

Credit to Mihi for my avatar and sig. ;)

Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/TrudyDownes ;)

Ping - Annie L

• RIP
  • Superman
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2013, 08:06:21 PM »
I can't vote because for me it isn't as simple as either/or... :)

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2013, 08:08:55 PM »
Pop - airplay - hopefully Joe's new team have contacts they can use.
Classical - not sure really. Think it's a more gradual thing but Joe's not gone that route so far, he's come in off a TV show. Depends how they can grow that fanbase.

Trudy

• Superman
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2013, 08:35:45 PM »
Pop - airplay - hopefully Joe's new team have contacts they can use.
Classical - not sure really. Think it's a more gradual thing but Joe's not gone that route so far, he's come in off a TV show. Depends how they can grow that fanbase.

pop i agree  with jude joe needs airplay for pop --- and if joe wants dancey pop  will it be played on the Global stations as it  hasnt so far --- even pop like HWIB  was  only on radio 2 /  atlantic / etc -- and i dont see the GP THINKING OF JOE AS A DANCEY CLUB  SINGER????? more ballads/  DSB style  as GP ONLY REAlly know XF JOE / or the classic PSTOS JOE ------- only joes die hard fans know joe  and his uptempo joe  and  of course the fans who liked WA and still supported joe  after that album -- as joe doesnt seen to want to train classical  i cant see  an opera joe other than the PSTOS  JOE we already  know  about really ----- dont see joe AS A CLASSICAL SINGER FULL TIME  or joe would have had more   vocal training by now  wouldnt he ????? but -- thats my opinion  only

Tacom

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2013, 08:57:29 PM »
I can't vote because for me it isn't as simple as either/or... :)

I agree.
I would choose Pop,  but then like i have said before, the moments he really gets me to tears is when he sings classical crossover songs, the more he can showcase that gorgeous voice, the more I like it.

Susie D

• Superman
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2013, 08:58:18 PM »
I was thinking about this today. I'll be buying whatever he records but would love to hear his middle and lower range more and I just can't stand falsetto  :-) I do think he should keep all options open and sing everything. :D

The thing is though, it isn't really about what his established fanbase likes most, it's what would generate more sales with the general public and how would they get to hear his album. What do the label and management have in mind for promotional and marketing strategy I wonder bearing in mind the radio play situation.

How does everyone think their preferred genre should be promoted to achieve best sales and is that promotion realistic or just wishful thinking? Interested to hear peoples' different views on this. :)

:goodpost:

Exactly.  I really believe that HWIB would have sold more if it could have been heard more.  Classic did exceptionally well, as he struck while the iron was hot, so to speak, as there really was only one real promotional video out there TTSG and limited airplay.  Although the FoR performance and Songs of Praise must have helped too.

HWIB along with WA, had very limited promotion and airplay.  I'm sure Joe could succeed with another pop album if it could be heard.

I rarely listen to radio anymore but always look at the charts on a Sunday eve and often listen to snippets to get a feel for the latest tracks to see if I want to download.  I can usually tell what must be playlisted by radio by the songs constant presence in the charts. There are rarely any surprises.

I did, in fact, compare the long standing singles (and album) charts with airplay last night.  Albums that had entered the chart quite high the previous week took a slump because there is little airplay (eg, Blue, Bo Bruce, Alison Moyet etc) but those that have airplay remain boyount (eg OM - playlisted R1, R2 and three tracks playlisted on Capital etc) but we all know this already so sorry to go over old ground.  Its still the 'chicken and egg' scenario - without popularity there is a fight for airplay.  Certain artists could produce anything and get airplay - yet so many great artists, with beautiful tunes fall by the wayside. Prescence of hard copies in shops plays a big part too.  Of course, those that stay in the charts for longer are available and visible in abundance - try looking in a supermarket for anything that isn't in the Top 40 and you have a problem - we all know how HMV are suffering. A more casual buyer is likely to pick up a chart CD than go home and search on the web for random music.  When Michael Buble's latest album was released he was at every checkout of my local Sainsburys - once you have the reputation it sells - regardless of the quality of the album (and I'm not dissing Michael's album here!!) Not taking anything away from Olly's 'catching' tunes but his Xtra Factor prescence was the real making of him.

After this rather long winded post I guess what I am trying to say is the Joe and his music are in the hands of the media (or a lucky break!).  I am grateful that he still has the opportunity to record and this time I hope the album is one that he truly believes in.  I hope he makes this one for himself.  WA was for SYCO, Classic was made because that is what was expected by the PStoOS fans and HWIB was more of a 'halfway' house.  I think Joe has believed in all three of these to a certain extent  - this one I hope is his 100%.

I am fond of all his albums, without WA there would be no SWMU, Superman, RLS - which I love! or WA.  Without Classic I would never have got to know TWYA, CDT and so many of the others - love My heart will go on! With HWIB I adore HWL, WHID, THABH, RU and I recently discovered E penso a te - it makes me smile!!)

I simply hope that album number 5 can be embraced by as many people as possible as it is a crying shame that his voice remains unheard by so many.

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2013, 09:52:13 PM »
I wouldn't really describe HWIB as wholly pop though. More easy-listening. There weren't many tracks on it that would have been suitable for stations like Radio 1, Capital, Kiss, Heart etc. etc.

If Joe goes with his heart 100% I think it would be very radio-friendly. But would the XF/Syco shenanigans stop them from playlisting it?

Trudy

• Superman
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2013, 09:59:51 PM »
great post  susie D  :goodpost:-------HWIB   was more of joe than the other 2  as WA was  what  SYCO WANTED ( as they swapped dallas   austins songs for the jersey boys  autotune  that joe didnt need  as he sang WA better LIVE )  CLASSIC  was what  DECCA  wanted to  sell to the PSTOS fans who came  with  the tv show PSTOS  and thats why it sold so well  on the back of  tv show  PSTOS --------- HWIB ---- didnt have  either shows on telly like  XF / PSTOS --------but ---- it did have some joe  originals ----- and was more about JOE ------ it did  need less covers tho to be more  ALL JOE  ALBUM --- thats why i hope  ALBUM 5  will have more JOE ORIGINALS  and have  some uptempo JOE to go with the ballads JOE  and give the fans a bit of a mix of  POP that goes down well at the  JOE GIGS --- we all like to hear  joe  sing those lovley ballads aswell as the uptempo  at the  JOE GIGS  so we should like  an album that  has the sort of pop we all like to hear JOE sing ------ the problem is  for JOE to get airplay he deserves  on the radio / tv / and  that with more PROMO ----- if other acts get  PROMO  & AIRPLAY--- why shouldnt JOE ?????  unless as  jude says the  syco /XF  silly shananigans  still exist????

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2013, 10:10:19 PM »
But at the time, wasn't Wide Awake what Joe wanted? It seemed like he was very happy with the final result and it was him that was so excited about Ambitions that it led to the change in direction ...... I thought? Hindsight is a wonderful thing but at the time that WA was produced I think it did reflect what he wanted/liked?? And to be honest it does contain an element of being a mixture of pop/rock, clubby style (though a bit dated) and ballads.

sandypandy74

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2013, 10:32:08 PM »
yes, it's a bit dated.
I can't believe he is working on songs like the ones we heard from the something-dog studio and the one he put on keek, and isn't sure which direction to take.
what's the point of those then?
is there a fight with the label? they want something, he wants another, they are discussing what the best thing to do is and he has doubts?
where will all the songs go if he goes classical?

Trudy

• Superman
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2013, 10:40:27 PM »
sorry ----- but ------ i think joe regretted  having only  uptempo  on WA   and that he liked some of the dallas austin  songs  he was meant to sing   forever young aswell  which  joe loved --  syco  wanted joe as a MIKA  type  and got joe  ambitions  and all the autotune  that went with it  and as joe wanted some uptempo  thats  what he did -- then syco  didnt bother to promote joe  other than  NE / GAY  clubs etc ------ maybe  after joe came out -----  i heard this from  somone cant say who -- private convo ------ joe actually realised he needed- more ballads  and that WA lost him fans who he had from XF  who missed his ballads  from the show ---- joe was  taken in by syco  who actually  alienated joe from his  XF fans  with WA -- it had not got  joes voice  or  ballads on it  which won joe the XF ----- joe was nieve  and taken in by them  at syco  and  let down by MM  who wanted  US to believe WA was joes choice ---- it was SYCOS ---why would  JOE  & FAMILY  want joes beautful VOICE ----autotuned  to sound like  a robot ------- unless to make it no longer sound like the  JOE who won  XF  2009 -- the boy  who wasnt meant to win ?????

Peggysue/Maggs

• Superman
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2013, 10:44:28 PM »
those two clips we have heard do not seem to be similar to what Joe himself listens to are they what he thinks will make him a pop star on the radio, not what he likes?

mr wombat

• Feel the Fire
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2013, 10:45:49 PM »
The song which always gets me to put down the tea towel and just listen is "Silence is the Loudest Cry".  As long as there's a clear acoustic sound which we also get with the Jukebox Joe snippets, then I don't care too much about the genre, words or music.

I really liked "Love of My Life" but it would be too slow to play on radio.

Trudy

• Superman
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2013, 10:46:55 PM »
yes, it's a bit dated.
I can't believe he is working on songs like the ones we heard from the something-dog studio and the one he put on keek, and isn't sure which direction to take.
what's the point of those then?
is there a fight with the label? they want something, he wants another, they are discussing what the best thing to do is and he has doubts?
where will all the songs go if he goes classical?

perhaps  he realised  we dont  want ALL dancey pop ?????? and neither do DECCA ???? if joe had his fave type of music  joe would sing R&B???? as he loves beyonce / rihanna / nikki minage  :D