Author Topic: POLL: Pop or Classical?  (Read 7082 times)

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
POLL: Pop or Classical?
« on: May 19, 2013, 12:17:31 PM »
What the question says.
Not that he should never do some of the other, but what would you like Joe's main focus to be?

Pop means all pop including rock/disco/r&b/ballads etc. etc..

Classical means all classical/classical crossover/musical theatre thrown in - bit like on Classic album.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 12:59:12 PM by judetheobscure »

sandypandy74

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
Re: POLL: Pop or Classical?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 12:21:17 PM »
dead easy decision for me. don't even need to say what I voted for.  :-)

Avril Clark

• Someone Wake Me Up
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 12:26:41 PM »
Love anything he does. <3

Craftie16

• Superman
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 12:31:54 PM »
Pop all the way for me - not keen on the classical stuff. Really want album 5 to be pop with original material either written by Joe or for him - don't want any falsetto either - not asking for much.

Thanks to Mihi for my sig

excitedbyjoe

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 12:35:45 PM »
Difficult- personally I like the pop but commercially, I suspect that Classical is the way to go for long term success unless he breaks through with airplay.

blackenroses

• Superman
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 12:38:21 PM »
Difficult- personally I like the pop but commercially, I suspect that Classical is the way to go for long term success unless he breaks through with airplay.

^^ This!  :goodpost:

Leslie

• Someone Wake Me Up
Re: POLL: Pop or Classical? classical first pop, also. Popera?
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 12:43:51 PM »
 :ilovejoe: I get confused because I'm so affected by his classical but want him to be happy and do enjoy everything else he sings. I'm with Terry. I want both. But I don't want Joe getting  "tired or sick" trying to please everybody. Soooo, I wish I could just say do just what you want. But there would be such a hole in my heart if he stopped singing the classical songs.

roec

• Superman
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 12:45:21 PM »
Pop all the way for me - not keen on the classical stuff. Really want album 5 to be pop with original material either written by Joe or for him - don't want any falsetto either - not asking for much.
Well i agree with all this  :D
Though i do agree with excitedbyjoe that the classical maybe would be more successful without airplay, though with out being after the tv show it may be less successful now anyway
So i still think he should go with pop if its more what he wants to do & try to got outside the Uk with it.....

Thanks for the gorgeous sig MEW :)

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 12:50:50 PM »
I don't think he will ever stop singing classical. It's a fantastic showcase for what his voice is capable of.
It's whether he should have a whole album of it.

For what it's worth, if the question was rephrased to - should he sing pop or musical theatre, then I'd find it less easy to make my decision. I just think for pure classical (and to be honest, he hasn't sung a lot of pure classical - just Nessun Dorma and Va Pensiero) he needs more training. Even for classical crossover he needs to sort out his breathing.

carisma

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 12:54:49 PM »
I take it we are using the word 'pop' in its widest sense?

Thanks to Mihi for my sig  :)

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 12:58:01 PM »
Yes - pop to cover all pop including ballads.

Classical to cover all classical/classical crossover/musical theatre thrown in - bit like on Classic album.

roec

• Superman
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 01:05:26 PM »

For what it's worth, if the question was rephrased to - should he sing pop or musical theatre, then I'd find it less easy to make my decision.
That would make my decision even easier!! :-)
Would rather classical crossover any day to musical theatre!
Should have said the only bit of Geraldine's post i didn't agree with was not keen on the classical stuff, i don't mind it but would much perfer pop

Thanks for the gorgeous sig MEW :)

sandypandy74

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 01:05:37 PM »
Yes - pop to cover all pop including ballads.

Classical to cover all classical/classical crossover/musical theatre thrown in - bit like on Classic album.

And i think that's where some are confused. I wonder if some consider him we love as classical. I definitely don't.
Pop isn't dance nor only uptempo

queenie4joe

• Superman
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 01:11:18 PM »
 I just love Joes voice, so whatever he does is fine by me!! (I love him a little bit as well :wink:)

Also agree with EBJ - commercially and for longevity classic/crossover may be the way to go!!

carisma

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 01:12:04 PM »
I have gone for pop but that is only half the answer - I am not so keen on the up tempo songs on WA, but I love Superman, SWMU and Wide Awake.  I also love How We Love (which is not really pop - neither is it Classical). 

I love Joe singing songs like Affirmations, Human and one of my favourite live performances is  Love of My Life, which again doesn't immediately fit into any classification. 

But songs like ND, TWYA, TTSG do showcase Joe's voice - they just wouldn't be my preference to listen to.

Thanks to Mihi for my sig  :)