Author Topic: Royals  (Read 12062 times)

Tacom

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
Royals
« on: May 01, 2013, 07:30:49 PM »
I would like to start a thread for Royalty.  (I tried to search for one, but either I overlooked it, or it was non existent)

Royals.

The Day After.
We have had the coronation yesterday, Queen Beatrix abdicated in favour of her son, our new King Willem-Alexander. His wife is now to adressed as Queen Maxima.

I can honestly say, that I am very proud and happy that yesterday went so well.
The whole ceremony was well directed, very well covered by TV and in moments it was quite emotional.

Firstly we witnessed that Beatrix, Willem-Alexander and Maxima signed the abdication statement. Next we were treated by the balcony scene.
Beatrix introduced her son to us as the new King and he made a lovely speech, thanking  his mother for 33 years of hard work with love and immense sense of duty.
Next the new King and Queen were accompagnied  by their 3 daughters, for the first time they had their official moment. Lovely, absolutely lovely.

In the afternoon we had the celebration ceremony, where many of the world's Royals were invited in the Nieuwe Kerk.
The moment King Willem-ALexander and Queen Maxima left the Palace to walk to the Nieuwe Kerk, I was in shock...in tears and was absolutly swooning. OMG I knew our Maxima was beautiful, I knew she is ravishing , a woman of style but also with a big heart, but now she suddenly was our Queen...what a dress...what a look...Stunning  :swoon:

The UK were represented by Prince Charles and Camilla and for the very first time in 10years the wife of the Japanese crown Prince, Masako Owada attended an offical moment like this. She has been very ill, but our Royal family are supposed to be good friends with the Japanese, Queen Beatrix invited them to spend their holidays in our country a few years ago. It was good to see her in a better condition.

At night, after they heard the Artists singing the King's song (with the composer there, rightfully so ) the new King and Queen were on a boat, and were presented highlights of dutch cinema, fashiondesign, sporters,musicals, ballet and music.
The highlight was that they stopped for the stage where DJ Armin van Buuren played with the Concertgebouw Orchestra.
Supposedly they had asked Armin to come shake hands on the boat, but he said he could not do it, because he could not let his audience down. OK our King said, then we are coming to you. Mind you...they had to step over on another boat, since there was no quay , not a really safe situation, but the pictures were lovely. It was a spontaneous action and the mayor of Amsterdam discouraged it, but they did it anyway:

If this is what the new king wants...to cross bridges between the younger people, to unite people,  I am all for it.

Great day, absolutely...and I still can not get over the fact how immensly stunning Queen Maxima was. Suddenly I am all for the monarchy  :ten:

Tacom

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
Re: Royals
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 07:39:28 PM »
Camilla is still in Amsterdam today and decided to go shopping,(edit: Just read that it was day before the coronation)  more or less in disguise she wore a orange hat (like all dutch people wore yesterday)
Did not know she would do things like this, but supposedly she stopped for pictures taken with people who did recognise her. Love that  :ten:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2317678/We-love-Princess-Camilla--Dutch-party-tell-bumped-Camilla-new-orange-hat-streets-Amsterdam.html
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 08:00:38 PM by Tacom »

mihi

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 07:41:34 PM »
Personally loved the pic by princess Mabel; Good morning AmsterDAM

Mabel van Oranje ‏@MabelvanOranje 29 Apr
Goedemorgen AmsterDAM pic.twitter.com/FL2D5d3Zcy

sandyrose102

• Superman
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 07:56:02 PM »
Thank you Taco and Mihi for all the interesting information. I love the photos and I'm so pleased that it all went so well.  :thumbsup:  :hurrah:   

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 08:05:47 PM »
Lovely pictures and have enjoyed reading your stories of the day both on here and the other thread  :thumbsup:
It's interesting seeing the differences between our royals and yours. And also seeing all the other royals too. Are these the only countries now that have royalty?

mihi

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 08:14:14 PM »
I'm not sure every monarchy was represented, but according to wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_royal_houses

Tacom

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 08:15:32 PM »
I dont know what other royals you mean, but I guess there were quite some countries present.

from Europe: Belgium, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Spain, the UK, Monaco, Lichtenstein, Luxemburg.
Outside Europe: Japan, Marocco, Thailand, Brunei, Qatar, Jordan, Malaysia

Probably forgot a few.....  ;)

Ping - Annie L

• RIP
  • Superman
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 08:18:51 PM »
It seemed a lovely relaxed day Taco & Mihi.... made me smile all the way through..... and yes Taco.... Queen Maxima looked every inch a Queen... :)

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 08:38:27 PM »
I'm not sure every monarchy was represented, but according to wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_royal_houses

Hmmm - not quite so simple then  :lol:

Liz

• Superman
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 11:10:51 PM »
 :thankyou: Taco and Mihi have loved the videos and photos, and yes Queen Maxima beautiful dress, hair and dazzling crown  :)

thanks to Mihi, for my lovely sig!

Trudy

• Superman
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 11:27:26 PM »
thanks  :thankyou: mihi & tacom got all pics and info on dutch  royal family   :thankyou:

Credit to Mihi for my avatar and sig. ;)

Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/TrudyDownes ;)

Tacom

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 06:26:25 PM »
I heard that for the very first time Queen Elizabeth wont be attending a Common Wealth meeting later this year, and is represented by her son Prince Charles.

Is the official statement that she does not want to travel so far? By all means, I think at her age she is allowed to take it a little slow.

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 07:15:45 PM »
Yes - reviewing the amount of long-haul travel she does. She has been ill a few times this year and, very unusually for her, has had to cancel some engagements. She still undertook over 400 engagements in 2012 though  :shock1: And she's 87. A fantastic lady.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22431757

Tacom

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 07:53:12 PM »
Yes deep respect for her and Prince Philip as well.

I know she is not going to resign, but I would grant her her retirement.

Trudy

• Superman
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 09:19:11 PM »
the QUEEN  IS LOVLEY  -- she needs a break now i think

Credit to Mihi for my avatar and sig. ;)

Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/TrudyDownes ;)