Author Topic: Oscar Pistorius  (Read 6773 times)

carisma

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
Oscar Pistorius
« on: February 14, 2013, 08:09:23 AM »
What a terrible tragic story about Oscar Pistorius and his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp

Thanks to Mihi for my sig  :)

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
Re: Oscar Pistorius
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 11:00:12 AM »
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 11:04:47 AM by judetheobscure »

carisma

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 11:08:36 AM »
He shot and kiLled his girlfriend. Early reports say he thought she was a burglar when she went to his house to surprise him for Valentines Day

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 11:44:09 AM »
Sounds a bit odd - says it happened at 3AM - why on earth would she go round at 3AM?

Contradictory stories:

http://metro.co.uk/2013/02/14/oscar-pistorius-arrested-for-shooting-girlfriend-he-mistook-for-an-intruder-3476284/
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 12:05:22 PM by judetheobscure »

Trudy

• Superman
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 01:03:33 PM »
 what a tragic story -- they spoke of it on TM

Credit to Mihi for my avatar and sig. ;)

Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/TrudyDownes ;)

Trudy

• Superman
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 05:17:56 PM »
the oscar pistorios has got bail on killing girlfriend ------ altho his story doesnt all make sense????????

mihi

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 05:39:21 PM »
if he is not a flight risk, why not? Think he is very recognizable so if he tries to get away he will be noticed. Plus he is innocent till provem guilty, so you cannot hold him based on his alleged crimes.

Trudy

• Superman
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 05:42:55 PM »
thats true mihi -- just some are  saying  he shouldnt have got bail -- one saying it  is steve brookstien

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 09:02:32 PM »
They could have held him on his alleged crimes as he has been charged with premeditated murder. However, as you say, his flight risk and danger to the public is presumably very low and thus bail has been allowed. I'm glad they made that decision. He needs time to come to terms with what he has done, whatever that may be and although if he is guilty then prison is clearly going to be his ultimate destination and the basis that he might be innocent the compassionate thing to do is allow him to grieve in private.

Tacom

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 10:36:34 PM »
I have mixed feelings about bailing people out.

On such serious crimes like premedidated murder I would like to see the investgations speeded up and the one that is a serious suspect is kept in jail, mostly because of the sake of the victims and/or their family.

We dont have the bailing system really in Holland, if there is enough evidence the suspect awaits his trial in jail.

Trudy

• Superman
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 10:42:26 PM »
i agree with  you tacom -- mainly for the victims family  really -- as their  daughter / sister has died

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 11:31:59 PM »
I have mixed feelings about bailing people out.

On such serious crimes like premedidated murder I would like to see the investgations speeded up and the one that is a serious suspect is kept in jail, mostly because of the sake of the victims and/or their family.

We dont have the bailing system really in Holland, if there is enough evidence the suspect awaits his trial in jail.

I don't think investigations can be speeded up though really - it takes time to gather the evidence and prepare the case. I don't know what Reena's family think of Pistorius. Maybe their views were taken into account? Have no idea.

Tacom

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 08:13:45 AM »

I don't think investigations can be speeded up though really - it takes time to gather the evidence and prepare the case. I don't know what Reena's family think of Pistorius. Maybe their views were taken into account? Have no idea.

I have no idea either of course, but I hope they did.

I know that in general building up a case takes a lot of time, but I also know that the biggest complaint of the police is that they dont have enough manpower.

Although it is a tragic case, I do believe that using that amount of violence with guns (and not for the first time as I am made to believe) I would have expected him to be kept behind bars ,awaitening his trial.
Maybe next week he may mistakenly think the postman is an intruder too.

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 08:54:54 AM »
True - perhaps a condition of his bail is that the gun(s) are taken away. They will have the handgun anyway.

carisma

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 09:48:09 AM »
Well he is not allowed to go near his house, and obviously has had to hand over his passport, but the report say nothing about guns.

Both the prosecution and the defence agree that he shot four times through the toilet door, the only dispute is whether he knew it was Reeva that was there or not.  You don't shoot four times without intending (or at the very least, realising the possibility of it) to kill.