Author Topic: Joe and a future in Musical Theatre  (Read 5793 times)

Trudy

• Superman
Re: Joe and a future in Musical Theatre
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2011, 02:42:03 PM »
i dont think joe would get as nervous before a gig as he does with opera on PSTOS --- hayley told me he had to sit down before the results part of show and hayley said joes legs were shaking  and knocking together -- hes really nervous -- hayley will tell in her reveiw im  sure. :vote: :vote:

Credit to Mihi for my avatar and sig. ;)

Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/TrudyDownes ;)

carm

• Superman
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2011, 03:38:11 PM »
Poor Joe  :cry:  Hope he'll be less nervous as time goes by - He did very well to sing so beautifully in spite of being so nervous.  :swoon:

Tessa

• Superman
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2011, 04:09:41 PM »
Joe said something about getting nervous before every show. But assume its only a wee bit before most of his own gigs .But as you say once he starts singing on PSTOS seems to be able to let it go and stops looking nervous and was the same on X factor. In the behind scenes stuff from x factor he looks so scared but somehow Joe still manages to make it look cute. Even when he's crying and gets a hug.
Its so deceptive the way he is able to sing, even despite being the most scared he's ever been on Nissum Dorma.
On x factor I am almost embarassed for Danni Minogue when she says to Joe after he sang The Climb that "it was effortless" and we now know Joe was falling apart and even looks afterwards like he had died a death singing it. But she probably fell for the overall image he gives during the song. Although cowell noticed.
I thought Joe looks like he's coping better with his nerves than he did then... being older. Its amazing he still doesn't know how good he is. I wasn't expecting him to look so worried when they were calling out the results. Felt like shouting at my computer you killed it on nissum dorma surely you heard what they said. 

Joe seems to be able to do most things given the time and training so musical theatre may not be easy for him but as we've heard  think at least once... he loves a challenge.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 04:20:47 PM by tessalilian »

Hitomi

• Superman
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2011, 04:51:18 PM »
I think Joe is more nervous this time than when he performed at XF despite what he said on uStream. I can see his nerves even when he was performing, although his performance still exceeded my expectations. Definitely opera singing is not in his comfort zone (yet), particularly as he has to sing in a foreign language. I feel he has a lot more in him once he starts enjoying it.
I can see Katherine's frustrations and that might be affecting Joe's confidence. Joe loves a challenge but also he is a perfectionist. I am not sure if he is happy with his achievement so far or he thought he could have done better (performance wise).

As for his future in MT, I feel the same as Carisma. I don't think Joe is cut out for MT (at least yet). One of the reasons why I can't get into Musicals is because I get put off if acting is too unnatural or over the top. Even in films actors have to convince the audience and you can tell good actors from bad actors.
Joe can put emotions into singing but still his way is quite subtle (in a good way). I just love his voice. Even if he doesn't try too hard, his voice does the talking.
One of the good examples is his performance of Someone to Love. I enjoy more just listening to him with my eyes closed. I hope it makes sense.

I might be losing my point but what I wanted to say is for me, Joe is best as a recording artist and I want Joe to fight for it.  

Credit to mihi for my sig.

lunasmile

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2011, 05:23:05 PM »
I think Joe is more nervous this time than when he performed at XF despite what he said on uStream. I can see his nerves even when he was performing, although his performance still exceeded my expectations. Definitely opera singing is not in his comfort zone (yet), particularly as he has to sing in a foreign language. I feel he has a lot more in him once he starts enjoying it.
I can see Katherine's frustrations and that might be affecting Joe's confidence. Joe loves a challenge but also he is a perfectionist. I am not sure if he is happy with his achievement so far or he thought he could have done better (performance wise).

As for his future in MT, I feel the same as Carisma. I don't think Joe is cut out for MT (at least yet). One of the reasons why I can't get into Musicals is because I get put off if acting is too unnatural or over the top. Even in films actors have to convince the audience and you can tell good actors from bad actors.
Joe can put emotions into singing but still his way is quite subtle (in a good way). I just love his voice. Even if he doesn't try too hard, his voice does the talking.
One of the good examples is his performance of Someone to Love. I enjoy more just listening to him with my eyes closed. I hope it makes sense.

I might be losing my point but what I wanted to say is for me, Joe is best as a recording artist and I want Joe to fight for it.  

Totally agree with your post. Just rewatched the results show of week 1 and I didn't notice it before but he really did look scared to death. Despite his experience on Xfactor, I think he actually was quite scared at the prospect of being judged by the general public. Esp. after such a rocky start to his pop career and all the bashings from the press. Obviously, his confidence wasn't at its highest at the beginning of the show. Hope this show could be a confidence booster for him. Maybe that's why he decided to face a new challenge;needed some self-belief that he's a good singer. I initially thought he was doing this for fun but right from his vt on week 1(when he said he had to be note perfect, spot on etc), I felt his approach to this show was quite serious. And I think he really wants to win this, at least he's singing like sb who wants to win:)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 05:37:51 PM by lunasmile »

adayseye

• Superman
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2011, 06:45:48 PM »

Totally agree with your post. Just rewatched the results show of week 1 and I didn't notice it before but he really did look scared to death. Despite his experience on Xfactor, I think he actually was quite scared at the prospect of being judged by the general public. Esp. after such a rocky start to his pop career and all the bashings from the press. Obviously, his confidence wasn't at its highest at the beginning of the show. Hope this show could be a confidence booster for him. Maybe that's why he decided to face a new challenge;needed some self-belief that he's a good singer. I initially thought he was doing this for fun but right from his vt on week 1(when he said he had to be note perfect, spot on etc), I felt his approach to this show was quite serious. And I think he really wants to win this, at least he's singing like sb who wants to win:)

I can't begin to imagine waht it must have been like for Joe on that first show. Standing there before a judging panel again so soon - my heart went out to him and then to have to wait for that public vote - terrifying. But one thing's for sure Joe has bags of courage both professionally and personally. :clap:

kanga samps

• Superman
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2011, 08:18:11 PM »
Adayseye, that's my view of Joe too, he could so easily have walked away from all this. To start over again took such an enormous amount of courage and that is why I have so much admiration and respect for him. It is not just his awesome talent he has a backbone of steel and at heart always remains the Joe we have followed since we first fell for his charms.

Baishel

• Feel the Fire
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2011, 09:01:53 PM »
Adayseye, that's my view of Joe too, he could so easily have walked away from all this. To start over again took such an enormous amount of courage and that is why I have so much admiration and respect for him. It is not just his awesome talent he has a backbone of steel and at heart always remains the Joe we have followed since we first fell for his charms.

I totally agree it will have taken some bottle to put himself through all this again.  I think because of the way his pop career has gone and some of the nasty comments that have been made he was petrified that he would go out in the first week.  I think everyone is more nervous of failure when they are attempting things that are so far outside their comfort zone.  Hopefully he is gaining more confidence with each performance. :sigh:

Thanks Mihi for my signature

http://twitter.com/baisheluk

roec

• Superman
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2011, 09:26:09 PM »

Deffo agree Hitomi :) specially the bit i have bolded :goodpost:
& i also agree with Anne too :-)
& I really don't think Joe should do MT at the minute....as i feel it would just reinforce this opinion alot of people have that he is only fit for MT
Unless he has announced some big flash new recording deal at the same time.....then maybe a short stint would be ok but
I really think if he is ever to do MT it should be when he has already established a successful recording career

Thanks for the gorgeous sig MEW :)

Hayley

• Superman
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2011, 10:28:01 PM »
Maybe he hates but at the same time, (secretely)enjoys the tension of performing in front of people. 

I think you're definitely right here. He seems to thrive on the thrill of conquering his fears  :-)

I also agree with you about short stints. I guess the acting could be worked on but Joe is never going to overcome his lack of stature and sadly I think that probably would preclude him being able to play in many productions, thus limiting his ability to make it a full time career. However, I do think he enjoys musical theatre very much - as Trudy says he is always going to them, his favourite film is Mamma Mia etc. etc. and that he would relish short stints in between solo gigs and recording his new album ;) Joe would gain so much performance experience from being part of the large cast of a production too.

I am being a typical Libra again, I agree with some other points saying that I'm not sure MT is what he wants full time etc, but maybe he would do a short stint, like Jude says it would be a good experience and Im sure he would still get a buzz from it and get a huge buzz from performing to an appreciative crowd, but long term I don't think he would want to only ever do musical theatre and never record again etc.

I am not against MT, I think in a way it would/could be good for Joe and I guess it does depend on Joe's options and what is going on behind the scenes.  In the future I personally think Joe would be better doing a stint in theatre rather than perform for a small crowd in crappy venue's forever, at least it would get him seen by people who want to listen to the voice.

Of course it's not what I want for Joe, and if it is on the cards I would want it to be something to fill time and get some more experience etc.

I guess time will tell.

Thanks to Mihi for my sig.

Twitter http://twitter.com/Hubz1988  %-P

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Hubz1988?fe

Follow me on Instagram  http://followgram.me/hubz1988/

Hayley

• Superman
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2011, 10:41:54 PM »

I totally agree it will have taken some bottle to put himself through all this again.  I think because of the way his pop career has gone and some of the nasty comments that have been made he was petrified that he would go out in the first week.  I think everyone is more nervous of failure when they are attempting things that are so far outside their comfort zone.  Hopefully he is gaining more confidence with each performance. :sigh:

I agree with this and everyone sharing the opinion of how brave Joe was to put himself out there again to be voted for by the public and in front of judges etc.

You can't knock the boy's guts.

JazDarcy

• Administrator
  • Superman
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2011, 10:53:53 PM »

I agree with this and everyone sharing the opinion of how brave Joe was to put himself out there again to be voted for by the public and in front of judges etc.

No but you can question his sanity  :rofl2:

Hayley

• Superman
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2011, 12:02:41 AM »

No but you can question his sanity  :rofl2:

Lol I would question our sanity at the same time.  :wacko:

jadesharp1992

• Superman
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2011, 11:58:20 AM »
i'm so proud of Joe, it must have taken so much courage to make the decision to go out on this show! I really hope he will be ok this week, i'm just worried he's gonna tire himself out, what with doing a gig tomorrow. I think MT would be ok for Joe, but only for a short stint.

Joe is such an inspiration to me, and I am so proud to be a fan of his! Supporting him always! :)

mr wombat

• Feel the Fire
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2011, 01:14:51 AM »
Hitomi, you hit the nail right on the head.  I've been listening to Joe without watching because I thought his nerves were distracting my enjoyment of the songs, but now I dont't think it was his nerves because that just adds to his cuteness factor, it was his stilted acting.  Katherine thought he was too embarassed to act but I think it's the fact that he is such an honest, natural person that to "act" is totally out of character for him.  The first song was OK because it was a light cute story, but the second song was way out of character for him and I don't think he would want to sing it again.  Nessum Dorma is more like a pop song where you stand behind a microphone, so emotion rather than acting is required there and that will come with repeated singing.

If he's going to pursue an opera career then he's going to have to change his character and we're going to loose him, but he'll have to go where the most money is.  I think our multi-genre genius will end up doing a little bit of everything.  With opera or theatre he will do just the less serious ones.