Author Topic: Joe and a future in Musical Theatre  (Read 5727 times)

roec

• Superman
Re: Joe and a future in Musical Theatre
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 10:28:55 PM »
Aww - I know sandy - I want him to be Marius too :pray: but he will need to be comfortable with the acting side of it.

Yes, I'm talking to you roec  :-) I lose track of all these interviews. Who was he talking to on Daybreak? Need to go search it out again  :blush:
Oh it was when they were all on Daybreak (the one with the 2 presenters, is that Daybreak?) & Rolando & Katherine were on aswell.....it was when they asked them all about the acting & Joe was nodding away like a mad thing when they asked about them finding it difficult.....sorry i probably didn't explain myself very well :blush:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 10:32:45 PM by roec »

Thanks for the gorgeous sig MEW :)

carisma

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 10:29:53 PM »
Hw definitely said the bit about not reading the meaning of the arias too - he didn't want to get confused or something  :lol:  I did wonder how he was supposed to get the meaning across if he didn't know what it was  :roll:  :rofl2:

Thanks to Mihi for my sig  :)

adayseye

• Superman
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 10:31:49 PM »
I just don't feel Joe wants to do it. He always talks about - getting out there, seeing our faces and hearing us sing along - that's what he loves. :whistle:

roec

• Superman
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 10:33:22 PM »
I just don't feel Joe wants to do it. He always talks about - getting out there, seeing our faces and hearing us sing along - that's what he loves. :whistle:
Me too Anne!!

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 10:35:05 PM »
Ah - I think that was This Morning?

I don't know whether he wants to do it. He *seems* to be enjoying this opera lark and we're certainly not singing along to that. He seemed to enjoy the gig at Buck Pal, though that may have been more for the overall experience rather than the musical theatre nature of it.

carisma

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2011, 10:38:49 PM »

Yes I agree Anne (you may not be too surprised to hear  :tongue:).  Performing is what gives Joe the real buzz (even performing live on tv every week) getting the response from the crowd etc,.  I don't think he would get that from MT.

Slight OT - this thread for some reason has brought Rosamond to mind, is anyone in touch with her? I hope she gets to hear Joe's opera performances  :)

adayseye

• Superman
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2011, 10:39:47 PM »

I don't know whether he wants to do it. He *seems* to be enjoying this opera lark and we're certainly not singing along to that. He seemed to enjoy the gig at Buck Pal, though that may have been more for the overall experience rather than the musical theatre nature of it.

Sure he enjoys it but it's not what really floats his boat. In MT he wouldn't even be on stage all the time and there wouldn't be much interaction with the crowd - that's what Joe loves the 2 way aspect of performing and the show being HIS show.

adayseye

• Superman
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 10:41:19 PM »
Oh just seen your post - ok so now we reading each others mind - scary :haha: I was thinking of Rosamond last night and wondering how she was and if she'd heard him.

roec

• Superman
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2011, 10:44:26 PM »

Oh right sorry Jude :blush:
I'm not too well up on all those shows tbh...i've only ever watched any of them to see Joe & i can't actually tell them appart!!! :rofl2:

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2011, 10:45:13 PM »
Sure he enjoys it but it's not what really floats his boat. In MT he wouldn't even be on stage all the time and there wouldn't be much interaction with the crowd - that's what Joe loves the 2 way aspect of performing and the show being HIS show.

Do we know that it doesn't float his boat though? There are other things to be got from musical theatre - being part of a company - making a three-way thing - etc. Please don't think it's top of my list of things I want him to do. I just wonder sometimes if he knows himself what he wants to do. Interesting recent signs though with the comments about not being comfortable with the acting - is he trying to distance himself from the musical theatre route?

lunasmile

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2011, 01:41:20 AM »
He has a voice that could work in Musical Theater but I don't think he's really keen on becoming a 'fully committed' musical actor. On the contrary, when he sings pop songs like 'promise this', he really seems to be enjoying the moment. I think it was quite unfair for some judges on Xfactor to declare he's more musical theater than popstar. Joe won Xfactor singing pop songs, not musical numbers! Just shows how limited Syco's perception/definition of a 'popstar' and a 'pop album' is. Do all 'pop stars' add unnecesary autotunes and voice layerings on their albums?
I don't think his pop career is over. But I think he needs to be less experimental in his next album. An experimental debut album was all wrong...

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 03:34:41 AM by lunasmile »

Trudy

• Superman
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2011, 02:02:44 AM »
lunersmile -- actually joe loves going to see musical theatre actually -- joe has seen LE MIS / wicked / over the rainbow/ shrek/ thriller/ grease / mamma mia ( also a fave film too) joe does enjoy musical theatre , wether joe wants to appear in musical theatre , i dont know , i actually think he may like to try musical theatre as i have heard  people say they have auditioned with joe for parts , just because joe loves to do pop gigs and have fans in audience singing along , and joe says he enjoys gigs best doesnt mean joe wouldnt do a short stint in a musical,joe didnt say he liked opera before, but now joes singing opera on PSTOS, and joes fans are watching joe sing opera on tv / studioes, which is something we didnt think would happen either at all, so maybe joe may do musical theatre at some time in his career, i know we all want a new recording cantract , but who knows what the all will be revealed is until its actually revealed. :)

Credit to Mihi for my avatar and sig. ;)

Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/TrudyDownes ;)

lunasmile

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2011, 03:29:12 AM »
lunersmile -- actually joe loves going to see musical theatre actually -- joe has seen LE MIS / wicked / over the rainbow/ shrek/ thriller/ grease / mamma mia ( also a fave film too) joe does enjoy musical theatre , wether joe wants to appear in musical theatre , i dont know , i actually think he may like to try musical theatre as i have heard  people say they have auditioned with joe for parts , just because joe loves to do pop gigs and have fans in audience singing along , and joe says he enjoys gigs best doesnt mean joe wouldnt do a short stint in a musical,joe didnt say he liked opera before, but now joes singing opera on PSTOS, and joes fans are watching joe sing opera on tv / studioes, which is something we didnt think would happen either at all, so maybe joe may do musical theatre at some time in his career, i know we all want a new recording cantract , but who knows what the all will be revealed is until its actually revealed. :)

Well some pop singers do short stints in musicals so I guess its possible. Not all musicals require superb acting skills:)But not sure if he wants to be a fully committed musical singer...did he ever mention roles he would like to play in musical theater?
I thought he was singing arias just to have fun but the quality of his performances so far is too good. Think he has a competitive nature(although he doesn't say things like he/she is my rival)and he really wants to win this. Maybe he hates but at the same time, (secretely)enjoys the tension of performing in front of people. 

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2011, 08:08:44 AM »
Maybe he hates but at the same time, (secretely)enjoys the tension of performing in front of people. 

I think you're definitely right here. He seems to thrive on the thrill of conquering his fears  :-)

I also agree with you about short stints. I guess the acting could be worked on but Joe is never going to overcome his lack of stature and sadly I think that probably would preclude him being able to play in many productions, thus limiting his ability to make it a full time career. However, I do think he enjoys musical theatre very much - as Trudy says he is always going to them, his favourite film is Mamma Mia etc. etc. and that he would relish short stints in between solo gigs and recording his new album ;) Joe would gain so much performance experience from being part of the large cast of a production too.

carisma

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2011, 08:17:18 AM »
Definitely think that Joe, despite his nerves, get a huge buzz, performing on tv every week.  I have found it interesting (and slightly distressing) to hear/see how nervous he actually gets as he never gives any hint of it during his performance, but you can see that he is terrified looking.  I wonder if he was as nervous before his X Factor performances, or does the extra pressure singing opera brings make him even more nervous - although he also looks nervous waiting for the results.  Does anyone know if he gets as nervous before gigs as he certainly doesn't let it show then.