Author Topic: Joe and a future in Musical Theatre  (Read 5846 times)

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
Joe and a future in Musical Theatre
« on: June 27, 2011, 08:17:14 PM »
A very interesting week both just gone and lieing ahead in terms of any aspirations Joe may have to do musical theatre.

Last week he stated explicitly that he had trouble giving the degree of dramatisation necessary for an opera singer - something which is very similar in the world of musical theatre. Does Joe have enough acting ability to carry off a role in a musical?

This week Alfie Boe, who has just taken over as Valjean in the West End production of Les Miserables is guest mentor. I wonder what he will think of Joe.

carisma

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
Re: Joe and a future in Musical Theatre
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 08:36:08 PM »
Ok deep breath here as what I am going to say may not be very popular. :blush: I think Joe is too self conscious to be a good actor which makes me feel slightly uneasy when watching him try.  I have watched last night's video and the first week's 100's of times but I can't enjoy the performance of La Donne e Mobile in the same way  :sorry:  I feel the same way about some of his dancing too - especially the over choreographed Ambitions video -it is all a bit un-natural, I feel.  However, I make no secret of the fact that his performance of Wide Awake at Keyfund is one of my favourite ever of Joe's  - he just owned that stage, strutting about in a way that was comfortable and believable (and I mean performance rather than vocal), so he can do it but he himself has to find that belief.

I suppose he could take acting lessons but will they give him that belief.

Thanks to Mihi for my sig  :)

adayseye

• Superman
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 08:52:40 PM »
Ok deep breath here as what I am going to say may not be very popular. :blush: I think Joe is too self conscious to be a good actor which makes me feel slightly uneasy when watching him try.  I have watched last night's video and the first week's 100's of times but I can't enjoy the performance of La Donne e Mobile in the same way  :sorry:  I feel the same way about some of his dancing too - especially the over choreographed Ambitions video -it is all a bit un-natural, I feel.  However, I make no secret of the fact that his performance of Wide Awake at Keyfund is one of my favourite ever of Joe's  - he just owned that stage, strutting about in a way that was comfortable and believable (and I mean performance rather than vocal), so he can do it but he himself has to find that belief.

I suppose he could take acting lessons but will they give him that belief.

Well me dear I agree with you.  :)

He is self conscious but when he is relaxed and expressing the song instinctively as in that Wide Awake performance it works he seemd to just completely manifest the song in that performance  but even this doesn't always work with some songs and I wonder about who came up with some of the choreography in others. It kind of annoys me how nowadays it's like you have to be all over the shop and not just sing and I think Joe also doesn't realise that it's ok to be a great singer - maybe it's just what he got growing up but lots of really great singers can command a stage with their voice and what is required to put the song across. Freddy Mercury really performed but he didn't 'dance'.

litcar

• Superman
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 08:57:25 PM »
Well I sort of agree with you. He must have done some acting though if he did a 2 year course in performing arts surely!

roec

• Superman
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 09:00:32 PM »
But when he is performing Wide Awake i wouldn't really call that acting Carisma cause he is being himself just like when he was singing the songs on the x factor.....yep he was showing the emotions of the songs but he was  still being himself so not portraying a character he was just feeling the emotions of the song
He has said himself he is not really comfortable with the acting & MT acting is really quite OTT...so i would much rather he didn't have to do it tbh
Of course this is coming from someone who doesn't see MT as a good career move & i know some of ye disagree but i think MT alone without something else running parallel (ie. a new recording contract) is a dead end...sorry :sorry:
So i think i kinda agree with Carisma & Anne
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 09:02:11 PM by roec »

Thanks for the gorgeous sig MEW :)

JoeMegaFan

• Superman
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 09:00:44 PM »
We know Joe is a fast learner. He showed no self-consciousness in his XF performances. He followed guidance and conveyed so well a true belief in what he was singing through gestures and facial expressions and some dancing.

Since then Joe  will have learned that his every word and expression can be twisted and criticised by the press in the cruellest way possible, which would make anyone self conscious. Also Joe is a very happy young guy who perhaps has no experiences to draw on for the deep emotions he has to convey. He has said he has never loved anyone which means no love, broken heart, pain, loss etc experiences to use in his performances. Maybe Alfie Boe will spot that and help Joe with the drama.  
Thanks to Mihi for my wonderful sig !!

carisma

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 09:13:28 PM »
But even though Joe has not been in love or had his heart broken he portrays a lot of emotion through his singing.  SSTBTHW and SOOML move me to tears so he can portray that emotion vocally, I am just not sure he can do it physically.  I agree he can take instruction but for a performance to be believable it has to seem to be spontaneous.

I agree that WA wasn't acting - that was real, which made it all the more enjoyable.  Joe has to find that kind of inhibition in his opera/musical performance if he seriously wants to progress down that line.

Joe, without a doubt, can sing anything wonderfully but his acting needs some work.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 09:27:49 PM by carisma »

Thanks to Mihi for my sig  :)

adayseye

• Superman
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 09:25:05 PM »
But even though Joe has not been in love or had his heart broken he portray a lot of emotion through his singing.  SSTBTHW and SOOML move me to tears so he can portray that emotion vocally, I am just not sure he can do it physically.  I agree he can take instruction but for a performance to be believable it has to seem to be spontaneous.

I agree that WA wasn't acting - that was real, which made it all the more enjoyable.  Joe has to find that kind of inhibition in his opera/musical performance if he seriously wants to progress down that line.

Joe, without a doubt, can sing anything wonderfully but his acting needs some work.

Ok Carisma I should stop agreeing with you before this turns into a mutual appreciation society but I agree. :rofl2:

litcar

• Superman
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 09:33:56 PM »
Like I said before I do agree about the acting but on the other hand when singing the arias he is singing in a foreign language and although I they would have told him the story behind it, it is still hard to act it out if you don't know the words you're singing.Just as an example if he's singing about stars he'll tend to look up rather than down but if he doesn't know the word for stars how is he going to do that? I was worried about Joe when PSTOS started and he had said that when he was given the meaning of the arias he just pretended to read them. I thought that doing that is not going to help him to get into character so maybe I was right. I'll stop waffling now :-)

sandyrose102

• Superman
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 09:43:49 PM »
A very interesting week both just gone and lieing ahead in terms of any aspirations Joe may have to do musical theatre.

Last week he stated explicitly that he had trouble giving the degree of dramatisation necessary for an opera singer - something which is very similar in the world of musical theatre. Does Joe have enough acting ability to carry off a role in a musical?

This week Alfie Boe, who has just taken over as Valjean in the West End production of Les Miserables is guest mentor. I wonder what he will think of Joe.

I hope that the reaction Joe has received to ND on Sunday has given him a massive confidence boost. I also hope that he starts to include it in his gig set so that he can grow into the dramatical interpretation more and more whilst being in his comfort zone. Where musical theatre roles are concerned not all of them are deeply moving heartbreaking parts. There are a lot of happy shows too.  I think if Joe plays to his strengths he will be a sensation. Give him a responsive audience and watch his abilities and confidence soar.   :-)

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 09:59:52 PM »
Did he say that? Ooh  :spank:

A couple of things. With the best will in the world, I doubt that a two year course in performing arts would turn someone into an actor. Gives them basic skills but not a huge amount more.

With regard to opera, Joe has a huge amount on his plate, learning the arias, especially in the new languages, the new techniques which cover all sorts of aspects of vocal production etc. Maybe when he is more comfortable with the techniques or moves back to a more pop voice he will feel less inhibited. He certainly knows how to vocalise the emotion.

It may be, as you suggest sandy, that Joe would be more suited to a role in something like Grease.

JazDarcy

• Administrator
  • Superman
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 10:11:20 PM »

A couple of things. With the best will in the world, I doubt that a two year course in performing arts would turn someone into an actor. Gives them basic skills but not a huge amount more.

With regard to opera, Joe has a huge amount on his plate, learning the arias, especially in the new languages, the new techniques which cover all sorts of aspects of vocal production etc. Maybe when he is more comfortable with the techniques or moves back to a more pop voice he will feel less inhibited. He certainly knows how to vocalise the emotion.

It may be, as you suggest sandy, that Joe would be more suited to a role in something like Grease.

Especially since he technically only did one year of it  :lol:

roec

• Superman
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 10:13:23 PM »
Are you talking to me there Jude?? i'm not sure :blush:
Didn't he kinda say that on Daybreak or whatever the show was they were all on about not being comfortable with the acting & he certainly appears not to be comfortable with it in all the rehearsal bits they have shown
*cough* i can't stand Grease :blush:

Thanks for the gorgeous sig MEW :)

sandyrose102

• Superman
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 10:17:21 PM »

P.S.  But  I think he would make a fabulous Marius in Les Miserables!   :swoon:

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 10:21:47 PM »
Aww - I know sandy - I want him to be Marius too :pray: but he will need to be comfortable with the acting side of it.

Yes, I'm talking to you roec  :-) I lose track of all these interviews. Who was he talking to on Daybreak? Need to go search it out again  :blush: