Author Topic: OutPost Housing McElderryMassive Team Abseil  (Read 49161 times)

sandypandy74

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
OutPost Housing McElderryMassive Team Abseil
« on: May 14, 2012, 09:06:08 PM »
#McElderryMassiveAbseil - 14th of October 2012 - Vermont Hotel - Newcastle

Joe fans are teaming up to raise money for Outpst Housing Project, a charity helping "young people to find somewhere safe to live". They will abseil down the Vermont Hotel in Newcastle. the charity organising the event says: "At nearly 200ft we believe this is the highest charity abseil in the North East."
:nervous:

Donate online here: http://www.justgiving.com/McElderryMassive

Or by text: to 70070 type MCMA91 followed by the amount you wish to donate, like this:
To: 70070
MCMA91

CONFIRMED ABSEILERS:
1-Carmen   2-Steph (Carmen's daughter)  3-Ping Annie  4-JJ  5-Martin  6-Laura  7-Sandy  8-Hayley  9-Chris      10-Elaine  11-Joanne J.  12-Tascha  13-Shirley  14-Kirsty  15-Ashleigh  16-Michelle  17-Frances(Elaine'sdaughter)
18-Joanne S.  19-Gill. 20-Karen  21-Becca
Special Guest: Jim!!

PARTICIPANTS:

minimum age: 16 (no maximum!!)
Photographs will be taken as people make their descent from the roof with views looking over the bridges or quayside in the background and printed out on the day. If an image is required then there will be a charge of 6.00 per photograph payable on the day.
In the reception room on the 12th floor there will be a member of Mobex (and Outpost) staff to greet people and check their registration details. An induction will take place with another member of Mobex staff to ensure that people understand the abseil procedure. People are then led on to the roof - please note that only abseilers, Mobex staff and LeopardPrints photographers are allowed on the roof.

The staff in charge of the abseil are highly trained and very experienced in this line of work. There will be two abseil ropes - these are tested prior to the abseil and throughout the day. The ropes are VERY strong and can more than easily hold the weight of the heaviest person. The staff will chat to you and make sure that you understand everything before you make your descent - at this point take the opportunity to look over the Tyne Bridge towards the Baltic and beyond, these are fantastic views and are a showcase for Newcastle and Gateshead's architecture.

When you descend into Martha's Courtyard two more Mobex staff will be there to ensure that you land safely. They will unclip the abseil and safety rope and ask you to return your harness, helmet and gloves to the roof once you have met with your family and friends. When you return to the abseil reception area you will be issued with a certificate. You will have the chance to view the photographs taken of you and it is then that you may make your purchase. Photographs are available on the day of the abseil - there is no long waiting time.

Everyone who abseils will be issued a certificate.

CHEERING SQUAD:
On the day itself there will be signposts indicating where to meet. Friends and family may congregate in Martha's Courtyard at the base of the abseil to greet people as they land.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 01:36:51 PM by sandypandy74 »

litcar

• Superman
Re: OutPost Housing McElderryMassive Team Abseil
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 09:08:09 PM »
Hmmmmm I'm thinking about it. But I would have to get sponsors for it won't I and I feel cheeky asking again as I've already asked for the Race for Life. But I'm still thinking about it.

sandypandy74

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 09:19:29 PM »
if we do a team, we can join the fundraising, then we'll have all the joe nuts and mcelderrymassive and whatever Joe's crazy fans want to call themselves giving whatever they can afford. and we will all have our own friends and family who are not in the crazy fans category giving to the same page.
We might end up with a good little amount for them, and have some fun too  :thumbsup:

they say that there is no training to do for this. They explain it all on the day. Abseil is at 11:45am
minimum fundraising is 50 per person... we can definitely do this...

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 09:21:06 PM »
Exchange of tweets:

37m Outpost Housing ‏ @OutpostHousing
@CookieCorky Would be great if @joemcelderry91 fans had a team abseil for us some time ?!? @JoeMusicJoeNuts? We would organise : )

35m Outpost Housing ‏ @OutpostHousing
@JoeMusicJoeNuts @CookieCorky @joemcelderry91 we organise through @MobexNorthEast so in good hands! Vermont Hotel 200ft abseil.

34m Outpost Housing ‏ @OutpostHousing
@JoeMusicJoeNuts @CookieCorky @joemcelderry91 facebook Outpost Newcastle has photos from last abeil. Good views!

Outpost Housing ‏ @OutpostHousing
@Sandypandy74 @JoeMusicJoeNuts we have places left on 10 June or we could arrange a seperate McElderry fan team abseil...

Have asked them how many for a team. 11th June is short notice especially given quite a lot of Joe events around that time and sponsorship for Race for Life.

Maybe better for later in the year when more can do and sponsor.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 10:07:46 PM by judetheobscure »

sandypandy74

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 09:24:34 PM »
yes, later in the year. but then there will be the tour. If we have dates soon, you know we could do it when he's at Newcastle, the day of the concert!!! that would be brilliant!
Looks like it always happens on a sunday though...

Poppet68

• Superman
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 09:35:03 PM »
There is no way I would do it, I am fat and would break the rope.
 :rofl2:   :rofl3:

It would be great if we could get a team together  :hurrah:

Thanks to Mihi for my wonderful sig !!

sandypandy74

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 09:37:44 PM »
Poppet, this is on the website of Mobex North East, the charity that organises the abseil at that hotel:

" The ropes are VERY strong and can more than easily hold the weight of the heaviest person."

:lol:  :haha:
no excuses!!!!  :cool2:

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 09:40:49 PM »
You tell them SandyPandy ;)

Ping - Annie L

• RIP
  • Superman
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 09:41:49 PM »
I HATE heights & would be physically sick - but would love to be able to have done it!!

Hate not doing things that frighten me.... panicking here right now - but sooooo want to do it!!!

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 09:43:34 PM »
Although I hate heights I would do it if it weren't for the distance (ie time away from family) involved.

JazDarcy

• Administrator
  • Superman
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 09:44:22 PM »
I LOVE abseiling. Done quite a lot of climbing and abseiling in the past.........but bit far away..........

sandypandy74

• Global Moderator
  • Superman
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 09:47:29 PM »
this is the website for Mobex North East...
don't you lot let me down again. I am already doing the GNR on my own. Come on!!!

:joke:

http://www.mobexnortheast.org.uk/

it will be fun!!

10th of June is a day for outpost charity, then the next one is 14th of October, but they can book any other available date with Mobex.
Outpost will pay 25 for each person doing it, then each person needs to raise at least 50. I would do the one on the 14th of October. It will be just a month after the great north run.

Ping - Annie L

• RIP
  • Superman
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 09:47:34 PM »
Well I always said I'd like to do a sponsored glider flight so I'm trying to bring myself round to this.... going to start practicing standing at the edge of long drops.....

Maybe Stuart would rig something up on the back of the house and I could practice  :-)

Ping - Annie L

• RIP
  • Superman
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 09:48:41 PM »
June is too soon - October would be better for me Sandy....

judetheobscure

• Administrator
  • Superman
    • JoeNuts
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 09:50:18 PM »
Give you time to practise on your back wall, eh Ping?  :haha: